The last five years have seen a flurry of exciting new developments in the area of omega-3 fatty acids for optimal human health. Highlights include:
- - the importance of higher DHA intakes during pregnancy, lactation, infancy and childhood
- - the benefits of higher EPA/DHA intakes for complimentary care in inflammatory conditions
- - the increased use of EPA/DHA for cardio care and risk factor management including triglyceride- and blood pressure-lowering
- - EPA/DHA for age-related health conditions
- - EPA/DHA for various mental disorders including depression and anxiety disorders
- - EPA/DHA for the complimentary management of sports-related concussions
The symposium will also cover recommended intakes of EPA/DHA omega-3 from national and international organizations for various health targets. Agri-food and nutraceutical sources will be explored in order to meet these targets. Controversial topics and marketing advertisements will also be objectively clarified.
This symposium is brought you by the following organizations:
CAPT Joseph Hibbeln, MD, Psychiatrist
Acting Chief, Section on Nutritional Neurosciences, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, Maryland.
‘A Role for Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Mental Disorders (incl. Depression , Violent Behaviours, others)’
Dr. Bruce Holub
University Professor Emeritus , Dept. of Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario
‘Actual versus Target Intakes of DHA/EPA for Human Health and Disease Prevention/Management : Closing the Omega-3 Nutrition Gap with Agri-Foods and Nutraceuticals’
Dr. Craig Jensen
Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
‘Short- and Long-Term Benefits of DHA Intakes During Infancy’
Senior Research Scientist, Department of Dietetics and Nutrition, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas
‘DHA Omega-3 Supplementation During Pregnancy Improves Health Outcomes’
Dr. Michael Lewis (MD)
President, Brain Health Education and Research Foundation, Arlington, Virginia
‘Use of Omega-3 Fatty Acids for the Prevention and Management of Concussions and Traumatic Brain Injury’
Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian (MD, DrPH)
Co-Director, Program in Cardiovascular Epidemiology, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston , Massachusetts
‘Fish Consumption, Omega-3 Fatty Acid Status, and Association with Risk of Coronary Heart Disease and All-Cause Mortality’
Dr. Alexandra Richardson
Senior Research Fellow, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
‘DHA/EPA Omega-3 in Relation to Reading, Learning, and Behaviour in Healthy School Children and in ADHD’
All registration amounts are in Canadian dollars (incl. HST) and include conference materials, two coffee/refreshment breaks, plus a full lunch. Free parking is available at the Mississauga Convention Centre. Seating is limited.
We will also accept payment by mailed cheue. To do so, please download, print, and mail this form.
Members of the Dietitians of Canada (DC) should register no later than May 14, 2014 via the DC at www.dietitians.ca/events. All registrations thereafter must be made on this website or onsite (May 22nd) at the symposium.
Registration and Cancellation Policy
- Registration will be processed when final payment is verified.
- Cancellations must be reported no later than May 14, 2014 at 5pm via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Refunds will not be issued after that date, however, substitutions will be permitted.
- Notice of registration confirmation and a receipt will be emailed to you after you complete payment.
- Receipts will be available on day of symposium.
Location & Hotel
The symposium is being held on Thursday, May 22, 2014 at the Mississauga Convention Centre, located at 75 Derry Rd W, Mississauga, ON L5W 1G3. The convention centre is located 15 minutes from Toronto Pearson International airport. Free parking is available at the convention centre.
Hotel accommodation is available at a special symposium rate ($104) at the Hampton Inn (7040 Edwards Blvd., Mississauga, ON) with full breakfast included and free parking. The hotel is located 2 blocks (10 minute walk) from the Mississauga convention centre. To receive the special rate, book online using this link, or call the hotel at (905)-564-2122 and quote the code: ‘dha.’